Monday, December 13, 2010

Chemo - Day 1

I was expectedly nervous this morning and got up early to drink some orange juice. With my stomach in such a flux, this was probably not the best idea I have had in recent weeks as it projectiled out and mostly into the toilet not 5 minutes later. I have 7 pills to take in the morning mostly for nausea and vomiting. Thing is I have to take them with food. So therein lies the conundrum.  How do I eat and not throw up when feeling nauseous and trying to take medications to prevent being sick? Answers on a post card please.

Upon arrival at the hospital I checked in at the Chemo Daycare and waited for about half an hour before being taken into the room. I was made comfortable with an actual bed and a couple of warm blankets before being hooked up to the IV. The delivery of the medication was unremarkable with no side effects at the time of transfer. It was a nine o'clock appointment and I was out of there around 12:30 p.m. So as far as my first impressions go, it couldn't have been better. Well it could have been but then the nurses would have been scantily clad and there would be a big pile of blow in the corner. Only kidding!!

Feeling a little bit of a headache but nothing too bad as of yet. I have to watch out for certain side effects, the big one being a fever. If my temperature goes to 38 Celsius I am to go straight to Emergency. Another one being that I may bruise and bleed easier due to my platelets being low. Certain people will have to stop kicking my ass!! You know who you are!!

Thanks again to everyone for all their support with a special shout out to my wife Janice who doesn't seem to get enough acknowledgement.

Day 1 down. Only 20 more to go.

I can do this. I will do this!!

Livestrong!!

5 comments:

  1. Well done.... Livestrong mate and remember the positive mental attitude each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Janice is with you every step of the way!! You're an incredible couple! Love to you both...
    xoxo
    -a-

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Nausea, Marijuana. Just make sure you are somewhere without many stairs or sharp edges, and that you have snack food nearby:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will get worse, but keep your eye on the end of the road, when the treatments are over, you will feel better and better, it will all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete