Thursday, April 14, 2011

Life's a Journey Not a Destination

So I've had a week to digest the fact that I have to go undergo invasive lymph node surgery. I am obviously concerned, who wouldn't be? But I refuse to allow this setback to weaken my resolve.

I plan to volunteer with the Canadian Cancer Society when all this is behind me and this will only serve to help me assist others going through a similar situation. Whats the saying, "...don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes."

The continued support from my family and friends has been absolutely outstanding. It may be difficult news for others, especially those far away, to deal with but I am living it. Its nothing to be scared of and if I can maintain a positive attitude then so can you!

Its not going to be easy. Its going to take a lot of hard work and determination to get back to some semblance of normalcy. But I will not give up. The learning of my cancer, the orchiectomy, the 21 chemo treatments over 9 weeks, the 8 weeks of recovery from chemo treatment and now the subsequent upcoming surgery have pushed me further than I ever though possible, mentally and physically.

I hope this experience does change me. I want it to determine who I am and reshape who I will become. It may sound like a cliché but you don't realise what you have until you lose it, or at least the possibility of losing it. Family and friends is where its at. We tend to go through life a lot of the time with blinkers on and don't stop often enough along to way to smell the roses.
I not only want to smell them now but perhaps plant some.

Livestrong!

3 comments:

  1. Made me smile and be teary at the same time. Family and friends is totally where it's at. Inspiring friends are ones to be extremely grateful for and you Mr McCallum are most definitley inspiring. Much love.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are absolutely an amazing person. now, stop making me cry with pride that I know you, darn it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Tom as I said before you are a star made me cry too just keep thinking positive you can do it love and hugs Mary xxxxoxooxox

    ReplyDelete